Monday 11 April 2011

Faithless passing the baton

It's been an emotional week for Faithless fans across the globe (or maybe that was just me) as they performed their final gigs last week before going their separate ways or in the words of the Faithless - passing the baton. Having been a Faithless fan for years,  I rushed out (or rather - rushed on line) to get my tickets for their Glasgow gig as soon as I heard the news of their split and when they announced that they would be transmitting their final gig from Brixton Academy on 8th April live throughout the world at various cinemas I, of course, would not have missed it for anything!!! My tickets purchased  I looked forward in anticipation to that final gig. I was excited to be going, but not looking forward to it being the last ever Faithless gig. Many folks have muttered 'give them 10 years and they'll be organising a come back'. I on the other hand believe firmly that this is it. Not because I'm a pessimist (I would welcome a comeback) but because I believe the Faithless when they say that's it. Naive? Maybe - but I think not. Also, I was curious how the whole watching a gig in a cinema would go. I mean - sitting down at a Faithless gig? Unheard of!!! My head was buzzing with many questions. Would it be busy? Would the seats be removed? Can the seats in the cinema be removed? Would there be room to dance? And most of all - would I actually make it to the gig? I was travelling with work and had encountered delays and cancellations abound the past two weeks, courtesy of the lovely Flybe, who I was trusting to get me home just in time to get to the gig. Any delay, even an hour would scupper my plans and could mean the end of my hopes to join in on the last gig of my beloved Faithless. All day I felt nervous and on edge- nervous  anticipation I think. Fear not!!! I arrived on time - thank you Flybe. I love you again (until my next delayed flight). The cinema was not even half full and everyone took their seats. How can I get up and dance I wondered without blocking someones view? Will people get up to dance? Worry not - the atmosphere in the half empty cinema was electric, the music started and the crowd stated cheering.  The gig was fantastic!!!! Odd to be watching live but not really have them in front of you, but it really was just like being at the gig in Brixton - except there was a lot more room to dance.
I had a ball!! Two Faithless gigs in one week. My throat has still not recovered. Thank you Faithless for all the wonderful music!!! It 's true - the dance NEVER ends!      
  

No comments:

Post a Comment